This autumn saw me carving my first ever pumpkin - and I LOVED every second of it. For me crafting has always been about finding new ways to express myself and living life more frugally - finding pleasure in recycling and reusing rather than in shopping on the high street. I do need to say, however, the eating part of the pumpkin didn't go quite as well, definitely not a fan! Next year I'll carve a squash.
Anyway, the point is that carving got me thinking about all those other crafts I just hadn't tried yet, A bit of a search on craftster
showed me I wasn't the only one interested in trying out new things, and I've decided to join in with some of the challenges they throw up next year, as well as challenging myself. Below is a list of the craft projects I have in mind for next year, which will be updated with links to posts following the creation of each one. I've decided to go for around 20 projects in total...
- 1. A blanket based on this great idea: knitting 2 rows each day the colour of the sky.
- 2. Clay plant markers, inspired by a gander at this great social enterprise. Oh, if only you delivered to the UK.
- 3. Vanilla essence using vodka and pods (yum!)
- 4. Screen printing - using an old pair of tights and glue.
- 5. Weave a bramble basket using brambles from my dad's garden.. love this guy for ideas and a great tutorial. Or alternatively screens for the edges of my vedgy patches.
- 6. A bird feeder
- 7. A huge paper collage art piece.
- 8. Tie-dye/batik using lemon juice on a hot day and natural dyes ( see here, here and maybe here)
- 9. A welly stand for my back door (Possibly from wine corks?)
- 10. To finally découpage the drawers I got from a charity shop almost a year ago.
- 11. A recycled plastic bag liner for the back of my car. (This sweet video is a great tutorial for a tote using a similar idea)
- 12. Create some really unique pots (maybe altered books?) for my succulents.
- 13. Sloe Gin!
- 14. Turn the tiny gift boxes I saved from my work's bin into advent calenders before next December.
- 15. A series of light box artwork using handmade paper.
- 16. Frosted glass - up-cycle some old jam jars - use for chutney, or collecting coins, or as a vase - who knows?! inspired by this cutie
- 17. Get some sturdy branches and decorate to make stakes for raspberries.
- 18. Really want to try felting at some point, pot holders perhaps? Felted soap stones?
- 19. Hooks for in kitchen for-where-to hang up oven gloves and perhaps my new pot holders!
- 20. ... Leaving this spot for something really exciting!